(Submit between March 1 - May 1 Each Year)
An out-of-area transfer is a request for a student residing in Anne Arundel County to attend a school within the county other than assigned boundary school (often referred to as a student's home school).
To find out what school is a child’s “assigned boundary school,” go to Locate Your School.
A parent or court-appointed guardian must enroll a child in the assigned boundary school prior to requesting an out-of-area transfer. If a child attends private school, he/she must first be enrolled in an AACPS prior to submitting a request.
Where/When to Submit a Transfer Request
All applications should be submitted to the principal of the requested school.
If a child already attends a school as an out-of-area approved student, the application must be completed and submitted each school year. The continuation of a previous year out-of-area is not automatic, and the application must be submitted to the school during the out-of-area application window.
NOTE: If you are requesting a transfer to a secondary school for a reason other than daycare, the application must be submitted to the principal of the requested school. ALL PROFESSIONAL RECOMMENDATION REQUESTS MUST BE SENT TO THE BOARD OF EDUCATION.
Reasons to request a transfer:
- A professional recommendation
A physician or licensed mental health professional may recommend that a student attend a different school and must submit a letter explaining the need for the transfer. Click here for a letter to submit to your provider. A recommendation which identifies a specific school for the student to attend is not appropriate and a revised letter outlining the needs rather than the specific location will be requested. The professional providing the recommendation should provide the diagnosis, treatment plan, and anticipated outcomes for the student, whats steps have been made to include the school in the treatment plan and the result of the collaborative approach. Anne Arundel County Public Schools will determine where the needs of the student can best be met. The consent form must accompany your letter of professional recommendation.
- To complete the final year at a school.
- If your child is in fourth, seventh, or eleventh grade, and you move within Anne Arundel County during the school year, your child may remain at the school to complete the final year (5th, 8Th, 12th) of attendance at that school.
- The family moves into the attendance area after the first day of school
- If a family is moving into the attendance (area within 90 days) with appropriate supporting documentation. The family must already be Anne Arundel County residents to apply.
- The family moves out of the attendance area after the first day of school
- If a family moves out of the attending school’s attendance area after the first day of school, the student may finish the current school year only. The following school year, the student needs to attend the assigned boundary school based on the new address.
- Student is the child of a full-time employee of the requested school.
- The employee must be an Anne Arundel county resident.
- Daycare (for students Grades K–8 only)
- Verification of daycare services must be completed and signed by the provider. We only consider daycare if you have a documented hardship, which requires you to use a provider outside your assigned attendance area.
Parents will be notified of the decision for the request by mail, including a copy of the original application with a decision indicated near the bottom of the form. It can take up to 30 days to review a request.
Requests will be considered if the requested school is not closed and the reason for the request is one of the reasons listed above.
Please see the FAQs for more details.
Other Conditions for Approval
A student must maintain a “C” average, maintaining satisfactory attendance, 94% or better daily attendance, and have no suspensions or expulsions from school. My child must maintain good attendance, grades an behavior.
Additional Information about Out-of-Area Transfers
All schools within AACPS are assigned a capacity in accordance with a prescribed formula as determined by the Maryland Department of Planning (MDP). Please see the FAQs for more details.
What if I refuse to send my child to the assigned boundary school?
Contact the principal of your child’s school to discuss your concerns. Maryland law states that children between the ages of 5–18 must be enrolled in school. It is important to note that as of July 1, 2017, a student may not withdraw until age 18 except in a few special cases listed in the law.
Documented hardship includes families with documentation supporting an unusal and extraordinary circumstance. Please see FAQ #13.
What if my child is on an out-of-area transfer to a school for daycare but it is not due to hardship?
If your child is an approved out-of-area transfer due to daycare, your child may continue to attend the school as long as the conditions of approval are met. You must re-submit a request each school year in order for your child to attend the out of bounds school. Failure to re-apply may result in the withdrawal of your child from the school.
What about siblings?
Siblings are treated separately. You need to provide documentation of a hardship.
Transportation from established designated bus stops shall be provided for students who were granted an out-of-area transfer for daycare with a documented hardship only as defined by the Division of Student Support Services.
Transportation for all other requests is the responsibility of the parent or court-appointed guardian for all other students attending a school as an out-of-area transfer.
Applications are accepted from March 1–May 1 for the following school year. Applications submitted after May 1 must include documentation of a bona fide emergency or event unforeseen prior to May 1. Applications submitted without documentation of an emergency or unforeseen event will be returned without any action being taken.
Only residents of Anne Arundel County may apply for an out-of-area transfer. Out-of-county residents may not apply.
ALL INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL BE RETURNED.
- A professional recommendation