Advanced Learner Programs (ALPs) Pre-K-8
- exhibiting high performance capability in intellectual, creative, or artistic areas;
- possessing an unusual leadership capacity; and/or
- excelling in specific academic fields."
MSDE further asserts, "Gifted and talented students are found in all Maryland schools and in all cultural, ethnic, and economic groups."
The ALPs office supports administrators and teachers in recognizing and challenging student potential and advanced learning capabilities. To meet the differences of the student population, as well as the unique stages of development, the ALPs office delivers service through three distinct areas:
Within each of these areas, the ALPs office addresses two vital needs:
- Recognizing and documenting the potential of students
- Providing appropriate levels of challenge based on student need and/or identification