Dr. Arlotto’s recommendation generally aligns with that crafted by the Crofton Area Redistricting Committee with exception of:
- All boundary shifts will occur in the 2020-2021 school year.
- There is no recommended grandfathering.
The committee had recommended that some boundary shifts take effect in the 2019-2020 school year, with a two-year grandfathering.
Dr. Arlotto’s recommendation would:
- redistrict all Crofton Elementary School and Crofton Middle School students in the Two Rivers/Forks of the Patuxent and Waugh Chapel communities temporarily to Piney Orchard Elementary School and Arundel Middle School beginning in the 2020-2021 school year, until West County Elementary School opens in the Arundel feeder system. These students will continue to attend Arundel High School.
- redistrict the Riverwalk at Crofton community to Crofton Woods Elementary School, Crofton Middle School and Crofton Area High School beginning in the 2020-2021 school year (there are no students currently living in this area currently.
- redistrict all Arundel High School students living in the Nantucket, Crofton Meadows, and Crofton elementary school attendance zones on the east side of Route 3 to Crofton Area High School beginning in the 2020-2021 school year. These students would continue to attend Crofton Middle School.
- redistrict all South River High School students in the Crofton Meadows and Crofton Woods elementary school attendance zones to Crofton Area High School beginning in the 2020-2021 school year. These students would continue to attend Crofton Middle School.
- not include grandfathering provisions at any schools.
Redistricted Arundel and South River High School students will be phased in at Crofton Area High School by grade levels, with students in grades 9 and 10 attending in the 2020-2021 school year. Students in grades 9 through 11 would attend in the 2021-2022 school year, with students in grades 9 through 12 attending in 2022-2023.
Before the end of January, the Board will decide what plan or plans to take public hearing for comment. Those hearing dates will be announced once they are established.
The Board will make a final decision on a redistricting plan by April 30, 2019. Complete information on the redistricting process, including the recommendations of Dr. Arlotto and the redistricting committee, can be found at www.aacps.org/redistricting.