Anne Arundel School Board Approves Quarterly Assessment Policy Change
Posted by Selene San Felice, The Capital on 2/1/2018
Underclassmen taking AP or IB exams will still have to take their fourth quarterly assessments next year, as decided by a school board vote on Wednesday night.
The board voted unanimously to amend a policy that previously allowed all students taking Advanced Placement or International Baccalaureate exams to skip their fourth quarterly assessment. The policy will now only apply to 12th graders starting in the 2018-2019 school year.
After the board reviewed the policy in December, it was posted online and was available for public comment. No one made a comment in the 30 days it was posted, according to AACPS spokesman Bob Mosier. No public comment was made at Wednesday’s meeting.
The board reviewed the policy again in its Jan. 10 meeting, and reviewed it once again before voting Wednesday night.
“In the discussion about how to get students to master the topic at hand, we went away from such high stakes testing,” Mosier said.
AP and IB exams fall in the middle of the fourth 9-week marking period for underclassmen, while seniors usually only have about a week left after AP and IB exams.
“The rationale is that there is no high stakes testing now in the quarterlies, so that isn’t an issue. Since (underclassmen) students are still learning and being given work, they should be tested on that work,” Mosier said.
As the sign-up process for next school year’s AP and IB courses has begun across the county, Mosier says students will be made aware of the policy change before they sign up.
In the 2017-2018 school year, 8,344 students enrolled in AP or IB courses, with seniors make up about 75 percent of that. Mosier expects enrollment numbers will be about the same for the 2018-2019 school year.