All permanent AACPS employees are eligible for a tuition reimbursement benefit for coursework taken while employed with AACPS. Eligibility for reimbursement is based on the assigned bargaining Unit of the employee and the negotiated agreements for those Units. For specific Information on Programs and Procedures for Tuition Reimbursement by Unit see left links and below.
IMPORTANT GENERAL INFORMATION FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
DEADLINES AND PAY DATES
If all required documents are received by:
Reimbursement will be included in your paycheck on:
Monday, September 17, 2018 October 10, 2018 Thursday, November 15, 2018 December 5, 2018 Friday, February 15, 2019 March 13, 2019
Wednesday, May 15, 2019
June 5, 2019
To receive tuition reimbursement, the employee must submit the following items in one packet to the Office of Human Resources/Tuition Reimbursement before reimbursement may be made:
1. Request for Reimbursement for College Credits form (view your Unit link)
2. A copy of the college/university account statement showing your name, the college name, the dates and name of course work taken, how much you were billed for tuition and it must show the payment as completed
3. Pre-approval form if required by your Unit
4. An official transcript showing the completed course and grade earned (copies not accepted)
a. If submitting a hard-copy, paper original,
i. Have it sent to your home address
ii. Open it and check for accuracy
iii. Retain a copy for your files
iv. Submit along with the request form & account summary to HR/Tuition Reimbursement
b. If submitting an electronic transcript,
i. E-transcripts must be sent directly from the college/university to HRCOT@aacps.org. Provide this email to your college/university.
ii. Confirm that HR-Certification has received the e-transcript prior to submitting the reimbursement forms by contacting the tuition reimbursement office. Forms received without a transcript are returned.
Your reimbursement packet must be complete when submitted. Packets that are not complete will be returned to the employee. NOTE: Packets require a minimum of 2 documents. Some packets may require more depending on the program and the college/university.
Courses must be JOB-RELATED. Courses that are submitted for reimbursement but which are deemed as not JOB-RELATED will not be reimbursed. If you have questions on whether a course may be JOB-RELATED, follow the guidelines below:
- Units I and II contact your Certification Specialist
- Units III and IV contact Davetta Henderson at email@example.com
- Units V and VI contact your supervisor
In addition, please read the complete information sheet for your Unit using the links provided in the upper left corner of this page.
Employees must be current, permanent employees of AACPS when the course is taken AND on the date payment is made.
Reimbursement overpayments – employees who receive reimbursement for more classes in a reimbursement year than they are eligible, will be required to reimburse AACPS for the overage.
Common instances of overpayment:
- An employee received tuition reimbursement through HR and takes partnership courses at the same time.
- Unit 1 staff in a Masters in Critical Shortage Area program who do not complete the program or do not complete the post-graduate 4-year service requirement before separating from AACPS.
Tuition reimbursement is based on when the course is taken, not when the request is submitted. Semester/calendar dates are entered in HR’s system based on how it is listed on the official transcript.
- For semester based programs – A reimbursement year begins with the fall semester and ends with the following summer semester. Reimbursement is applied to the semester which courses are taken as noted on the official transcript.
- For calendar based programs – A reimbursement year begins September 1st and ends August 31st.
- If the official transcript has a beginning and ending date, the tuition reimbursement is based on the ending date.
- If the official transcript has only one date, the reimbursement is based on that one date.
- For official transcripts that show both semester and dates - refer to the semester based program.