All permanent AACPS employees are eligible for a tuition reimbursement benefit for coursework taken while employed with AACPS. Eligibility for reimbursement is based on the assigned bargaining Unit of the employee and the negotiated agreements for those Units. For specific Information on Programs and Procedures for Tuition Reimbursement by Unit see left links and below.
IMPORTANT GENERAL INFORMATION FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
DEADLINES AND PAY DATES
If all required documents
are received by:
be paid on:
Tuesday, September 15, 2020 Wednesday, October 7, 2020 Monday, November 16, 2020 Wednesday, December 2, 2020 Tuesday, February 16, 2021 Wednesday, March 10, 2021
Monday, May 17, 2021
Wednesday, June 2, 2021
To receive tuition reimbursement, the employee must submit the following items to the Office of Human Resources/Tuition Reimbursement before reimbursement may be made. We will accept the request form and account statement, (the pre-approval form if required by your Unit) via email, inter-office mail, regular mail or fax. If you are submitting an electronic transcript, to be considered "official" it must come directly from the college to our dedicated email address of firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Request for Reimbursement for College Credits form (view your Unit link)
2. A copy of the college/university account statement showing your name, the college name, the dates and name of course work taken, how much you were billed for tuition and it must show the payment as completed
3. Pre-approval form if required by your Unit
4. An official transcript showing the completed course and grade earned (copies not accepted)
a. If submitting a hard-copy, paper original,
i. Have it sent to your home address
ii. Open it and check for accuracy
iii. Retain a copy for your files
iv. Submit along with the request form & account summary to HR/Tuition Reimbursement
b. If submitting an electronic transcript,
i. E-transcripts must be sent directly from the college/university to HRCOT@aacps.org. Provide this email to your college/university.
ii. Once you receive confirmation that HR-Certification has received the e-transcript, please submit the remaining paperwork to your tuition reimbursement techinician.
Jaymika Mitchell email@example.com (A-K)
Laurie Hanley firstname.lastname@example.org (L-Z)
Courses must be JOB-RELATED. Courses that are submitted for reimbursement but which are deemed as not JOB-RELATED will not be reimbursed. If you have questions on whether a course may be JOB-RELATED, follow the guidelines below:
- Units I and II contact your Certification Specialist
- Units III and IV contact Tracy (Teresa) Williams
- Units V and VI contact your supervisor
In addition, please read the complete information sheet for your Unit using the links provided in the upper left corner of this page.
Employees must be current, permanent employees of AACPS when the course is taken AND on the date payment is made.
Reimbursement overpayments – employees who receive reimbursement for more classes in a reimbursement year than they are eligible, will be required to reimburse AACPS for the overage.
Common instances of overpayment:
- An employee received tuition reimbursement through HR and takes partnership courses at the same time.
- Unit 1 staff in a Masters in Critical Shortage Area program who do not complete the program or do not complete the post-graduate 4-year service requirement before separating from AACPS.
Tuition reimbursement is based on when the course is taken, not when the request is submitted. Semester/calendar dates are entered in HR’s system based on how it is listed on the official transcript.
- For semester based programs – A reimbursement year begins with the fall semester and ends with the following summer semester. Reimbursement is applied to the semester which courses are taken as noted on the official transcript.
- For calendar based programs – A reimbursement year begins September 1st and ends August 31st.
- If the official transcript has a beginning and ending date, the tuition reimbursement is based on the ending date.
- If the official transcript has only one date, the reimbursement is based on that one date.
- For official transcripts that show both semester and dates - refer to the semester based program.