AACPS has a nationally recognized K-12 fine arts dance program
AACPS courses prepare learners as responsible members of society - self-directed learners, effective communicators, critical thinkers, and problem solvers - using curriculum designed from Maryland State Department of Education (MSDE) Dance Education standards. Outcomes are integrated throughout various disciplines with an emphasis on knowledge and dance-enhancing skills.
Elementary School (Grades K-5)
Students receive dance instruction as part of the Physical Education curriculum. Programs available (subject to budget availability) include:
- Dance assemblies
- Dance Days
- 5th grade Ballroom Dance
- Arts Integration Dance Residency and Performance with Ballet Theatre of Maryland
Elementary schools also have after school Dance Companies that perform in AACPS Dance Festivals.
Middle School (Grades 6-8)
Students receive dance units as part of the Physical Education curriculum. Middle school students may also elect year-long elective Fine Arts dance classes. In addition:
- Students entering sixth grade may apply to enroll in one of our two AACPS Performing and Visual Arts Magnets programs. The PVA programs are housed at Bates Middle School and Brooklyn Park Middle school. Interested students must apply in the fall of their 5th grade year. Please note, there is also a required audition as part of this process. There is no formal dance instruction required or expected prior to application or audition, however, there are some podcasts available so that students will know what to expect during the audition process.
- Dance Company auditions are available starting in Middle School. Dance Company rehearses all year, performs in AACPS Dance Festivals, in the school’s spring dance concert, and at other events.
- Dance Ensemble is another opportunity for Dance Company students. Students who are members of their middle school Dance Company and maintain academics may audition for Ensemble.
High School (Grades 9-12)
Students may take academic courses in Dance I-IV, Dance for Athletes I-IV, and Dance Company I-IV. In addition:
- Performing and Visual Arts Magnet program is available, by audition, at Annapolis High School.
- Dance Company is available by audition. Dance Company rehearses after school in addition to taking company class during the academic day. Dance classes and Dance Company present a concert each semester.
- Dance Ensemble is another opportunity for Dance Company students. Students who are members of their high school Dance Company and maintain academics may audition for Ensemble.
- Dance Showcase and the Regional or National High School Dance Festivals are available, by audition, to High School dance companies.
Other opportunities for Dance Company students may include travel to a variety of dance festivals, master classes locally and in New York, and professional dance performances. Dance Company students also perform at community events, provide outreach and perform for feeder schools, and perform in other school events. Visit our Resources page to learn more about the High School Dance Program.