Weather-Related Closings During Virtual Learning
12/15/20 - With students and staff engaged in virtual learning, AACPS is currently employing a different set of announcements for inclement weather than those used in prior years. Until students return to buildings in a hybrid format, the traditional Code Blue and Code Red announcements. They have been replaced by the following:
VIRTUAL INSTRUCTION WITH BUILDINGS OPEN
Students and staff will follow normal established schedules, and all classes and group instruction will be conducted virtually. School meals will be served on a normal schedule, and school system staff and students will report for work and virtual instruction at their normal times.
VIRTUAL INSTRUCTION WITH SCHOOL BUILDINGS CLOSED
Students and staff will follow normal established schedules, and all classes and group instruction will be conducted virtually. School buildings will be closed for staff but Central and Satellite offices will be open. There will be no meal service for children and no school-sponsored athletics or extracurricular activities. School system staff and students should report for work and virtual instruction at their normal times.
NO INSTRUCTION WITH ALL BUILDINGS CLOSED
There will be no instruction, meal service or school-sponsored athletics or extracurricular activities, and all schools and school system offices will be closed.
All instruction will end early at a time to be announced. Meal service for children may also end early. Buildings will close early for staff at an announced time, and athletics and evening activities, including Twilight School and Evening High School, will be canceled. The status of extended-day programs for Performing and Visual Arts magnet program students, which are part of the instructional day, will be determined given the weather conditions at the time.
Additional Ways to Get Notified
Changes to school schedules caused by inclement weather or other emergency conditions are also announced through:
- the Connect-ED automated telephone, email, and text message notification system;
- on major area radio and television stations, including AACPS-TV (Channel 96 on Comcast and Broadstripe, and Channel 36 on Verizon);
- Posted on this website (www.aacps.org/closings),
- AACPS's social media accounts: Facebook (www.facebook.com/aacps), Instagram (www.instagram.com/aacountyschools), and Twitter (@AACountySchools) as well as on all school-specific Twitter pages.
- Announcements are also made through AACPS’ mobile app (search “Anne Arundel County PS” in the app store) and
- Recorded on the main switchboard voice mail (410-222-5000).
The school system’s website; Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram pages; individual school Twitter pages; and AACPS-TV remain the best places to check for accurate, up-to-date information