What are the benefits of language learning?
Learning another language at an early age:
- It has a positive effect on intellectual growth and academic achievement.
- Enriches and enhances a child’s mental development.
- It leaves students with more mental flexibility, critical thinking and creativity.
- Improves a child’s understanding of his/her native language.
- It creates a greater sensitivity to language and a better ear for listening.
- It gives a child the ability to communicate with people he/she would otherwise not have the chance to know.
- Opens the door to other cultures and helps a child understand and appreciate people from other countries.
- Gives a student a head start on language requirements for college.
- Increases job opportunities in many careers where knowing another language is a real asset.
Source: American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages
For more resources on the benefits of learning a language, click here.
American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
Consult ACTFL's resources on the benefits of language learning.
Flagship Language Program
Learn about how language prepare students for the next generation of educational and career opportunities.