October 2020 AACPS Roadmap to Reopening
Virtual- Full Year
Online Learning for the Remainder of the 2020-2021 School Year
5 days of virtual learning per week through fall and spring semesters of the 2020-21 academic year
NOTE: New Instructional Model begins November 16 for ECI and PreK through Grade 2 only and November 30 for Grades 3, 4, and 5.
Students will continue to learn virtually as they have been doing since the beginning of this academic year. If you are requesting this model, please know that we will attempt to keep as many students from current classrooms together, but it is highly likely that a new community of learners will be developed with grade level peers from inside your student’s school and neighboring schools in order to establish a full cohort of students. After this community has been established in November, it will remain intact throughout the remainder of the school year.
Virtual-Full Year Model Details
- There will be an AM, Midday, and PM learning block with associated Flex time, Friends & Fun time, Office Hours, Circle time, and time to Build Community. Learning schedule will remain as it is currently designed and operating.
- There will be no need to change school start and end times with this Virtual-Full Year model.
- Students’ teachers may change based on student desire/choice for virtual and hybrid learning.
NOTE: Families who choose this Virtual-Full Year learning model now, will not have to make any additional decisions for the remainder of the school year. These families’ students will remain in the virtual learning-only model through June of 2021. No additional opportunities to make learning model decisions for their students will be necessary. Students will remain with their classroom community – students and teacher - that is established in November of 2020.
Registration was open until Monday October 19th @ 5.pm. At this time, we are not accepting changes to initial registrations. Using current registration data, we are working hard to staff classrooms for Hybrid Learning to begin on November 16th and November 30th.
NOTE: Students who were not registered by the deadline are being placed in the virtual full-year learning model where they will continue to learn virtually on their current time schedule for the remainder of the 2020-2021 school year. If you did not register your student by the October 19th deadline and still want your preference to be known, please log your preference below by clicking on the Family Registration button.
Cleaning and disinfecting outdoor areas*
- Outdoor areas, like playgrounds in schools and parks generally require normal routine cleaning, but do not require disinfection.
- Disinfectant should not be sprayed on outdoor playgrounds- it is not an efficient use of supplies and is not proven to reduce risk of COVID-19 to the public.
- High touch surfaces made of plastic or metal, such as grab bars and railings should be cleaned routinely.
- Cleaning and disinfection of wooden surfaces (play structures, benches, tables) or groundcovers (mulch, sand) is not recommended.
- Sidewalks and roads should not be disinfected.
- Spread of COVID-19 from these surfaces is very low and disinfection is not effective.