Service Learning at Broadneck High School
Service Learning at Broadneck High School includes 40 hours of curricular integrated action. Your student will engage will plan, act, and reflect specifically through course noted below to ensure this graduation requirement is completed. For additional school information on Service Learning, please contact Katie Limbacher at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- U.S. Government (Grades 9/11):10 hours
- Health (Grades 9/10): 10 hours
- Science (Grade 9): 10 hours
- English (Grade 11): 10 hours
Preparing our Youth for Tomorrow
In addition to the course implementation of Service Learning noted above, students can further their community response through Service Clubs and Organizations. At Broadneck High School this includes:
- Students can get hours through clubs. Most clubs have service as part of their club and can receive hours by doing service oriented activities. The advisors will sign off on service activities they perform within their club. We also have larger activities like the Wellness fair, Polar Bear Plunge, Harvest for the Hungry, etc... that students can volunteer time. Students can also work outside of school and document their hours using the AACPS Service Learning Portal.
- Interact Club- Advisors: Julie Andrews (email@example.com) & Katie Limbacher (firstname.lastname@example.org) Sponsor: Parole Rotary Club
Key Club- Advisors: Rachel Donehower (email@example.com)
NHS- Advisory: Tammy Dronberger (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Special Projects:
- Special Olympics - Polar Bear Plunge
- Marine Toys for Tots - Toy Drive
- Lighthouse Shelter - Lunches for the Homeless
- Doctors Without Borders - Broadneck without Borders 5K
- Harvest for the Hungry
For more information regarding opportunities to serve or about required service learning hours visit these sites.
Distinguished Service Learning Website: www.serveaacps.org
Anne Arundel County Public Schools Service Learning: https://www.aacps.org/servicelearning
Maryland State Department of Education Service Learning: http://marylandpublicschools.org/programs/pages/service-learning/index.aspx