5/1/20 CAN I STILL GET A CHROMEBOOK IF I DO NOT HAVE A SMART DEVICE AT HOME? WHAT IF I DON’T HAVE INTERNET EITHER?
- All smart devices such as cell phones, tablets, chromebooks, laptops, desktop computers, and Xbox game consoles can be used to access our AACPS e-learning materials and resources.
- Please let your principal know if you are still in need of a Chromebook to fully participate in eLearning.
Connecting to the Internet
- You can access our AACPS learning materials and resources from anywhere that you can connect to the Internet, including local shopping center parking lots where free wifi connections are available.
- Xfinity Comcast is offering free WiFi access for 60 days for first-time customers who qualify. For more information, log on to www.internetessentials.com/covid19
- If you do not have the ability to connect to the Internet at the present time, please visit one of our locations where we are giving out daily meals to receive AACPS Learning On-the-Go sheets for your students to begin doing their learning while we are away from school.
NOTE: AACPS has enhanced the power of its Wi-Fi networks at schools. Guest networks are open to the public from
7 a.m. to 5 p.m. beginning March 31, 2020 so that, where possible, families can potentially utilize the AACPS guest network from the parking lots.
4/27/20 DO YOU HAVE ANY INFORMATION ON INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER DEALS FOR INTERNET CONNECTIVITY?
If you live in an area serviced by Comcast, you may be eligible for Comcast's Internet Essentials program, which offers free or low-cost internet service.
Find low-cost internet and affordable computers in your area @ everyoneon.org - enter your zip code to find additional deals on internet service.
Verizon is offering additional Mobile Hotspot data for customers. They are automatically adding 15 GB of data across nearly all plans, to be used between 03/25/2020 and 05/31/2020. To be eligible, you must be on a qualifying postpaid (unlimited or shared), Jetpack or prepaid plan:
For Unlimited Data Plans
15 GB of 4G LTE data will be added to your plan’s existing 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot allotment (most unlimited plans include 15GB or 20GB of 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot data standard)
Eligible plans include: The Verizon Plan Unlimited, Go/Beyond/Above Unlimited Plans, Start/Play More/Do More/Get More Unlimited Plans
For Shared Data Plans
15 GB of 4G LTE shared data will be added (can be used for Mobile Hotspot, or any other connected device using the shared data plan)
Eligible plans include: More Everything Plans, Verizon Plans 1.0 and 2.0 (e.g., S, M, L, XL, XXL), Just Kids
For Jetpack - Unlimited or Metered Plans
15 GB of 4G LTE data will be added
For Prepaid Plans
All monthly plans with a data allowance: 15 GB of 4G LTE data will be added to monthly metered Smartphone (can be used for Mobile Hotspot), Jetpack and Tablet device plans
Note: If you're on a shared or account level plan, all lines on the account will share the data. If each line on your account has its own plan, each will receive its own data.
Note: Late fees for paying your Verizon bill will be waived until June 30, 2020. Verizon will continue waiving router charges for two months for new Fios Internet customers.
Importantly, AACPS does not endorse any one service provider over any other provider. Please check with your Internet Service Provider to ensure that there are no hidden charges or no additional long-term commitments attached to these no-cost offers.
How do I turn my cell phone into a “hotspot” so I can access the Internet with my computer?
All the smartphone carriers are now supporting people turning their Android phone or iPhones into hotspots. Then, you can connect your computer to the Internet through this hotspot. There is NO COST to do this during this time period.
Do I need a printer?
Worksheet printing is not required; it is a choice. If your student has access to the Internet, some of the materials are interactive, thus no printer is needed. If your student does not have access to the Internet, please have them do their work on any paper that is available to them or in their journal, if they have one.