Bates Middle School Catalog and Databases
Bates Library Catalog (https://opac.aacps.org/AACPS/school.asp?SchoolType=2&sID=242)
All students have access to the Media Center via teacher scheduled class time for research and/or book exchange; independent visits upon entering, leaving school; passes from the cafeteria; and individual or small group passes from a classroom.
Students may borrow up to 2 print books and 1 magazine for 3 weeks. Students may also borrow up to 2 eBooks from MackinVia for 3 weeks.
- Best Books for Young Adults
- Caldecott Medal (Most distinguished American picture book for children)
- Newbery Medal (Most distinguished contribution to American literature for children)
- Michael L. Printz Award (Excellence in young adult literature)
- Quick Picks for Reluctant Young Adult Readers
- Coretta Scott King Award
- Summertime Favorites: A NEH (National Endowment for the Humanities) list of recommended readings, representing their long-standing effort to highlight classic literature for young people from kindergarten through high school.
- Children's Book Council: Great author/illustrator links and more lists by the sponsor of Children's Book Week and Young People's Poetry Week.
- Outstanding Science Trade Books for Students "Best Of" lists from the National Science Teachers Association.
- Notable Social Studies Trade Books for Young People "Best Of" lists from the National Council for the Social Studies.
- Guysread.com This site is a web-based literacy program for boys founded by author and First National Ambassador of Young People’s Literature Jon Scieszka whose mission is to help boys become self-motivated, lifelong readers.
Quick Recommendations for Reluctant YA Readers:
Summertime Favorites: https://www.neh.gov/news/summertime-favorites
Black Eyed Susan
Each year since 1992, the Black-Eyed Susan Book Award has been given to authors and/or illustrators of outstanding books chosen for the award by Maryland students. The award seeks to promote literacy and lifelong reading habits by encouraging students to read quality, contemporary literature.
Black Eyed Susan Book Categories
Grade 4-6 Novels
Grade 4-6 Graphic Novels
Grade 6-9 Novels
Grade 6-9 Graphic Novels
Books are available for check out at the Bates MS library, on MackinVia or at the public library.
Bates Black Eyed Susan Program Incentives:
7 books by December
Hot Cocoa & Candy Cane Party
10 books by February
7 books by April
Ice Cream Party
35 books by May
Field trip to Skyzone!