AVID is an accelerated academic encore course comprised of over 130 students grades 6-8. Interested students apply and participate in the AVID interview process from which selections are made based on the AVID criteria and available spots.
AVID is designed to provide academic support to students “in the middle” in order to prepare them for eligibility to four-year colleges and universities. During the AVID elective, students focus on writing, reading, inquiry, collaboration and organization while engaging in higher level thinking, relational capacity and college exploration. AVID students are mentored on their academic strengths and weaknesses and facilitate small group tutorials with their peers.
- All Staff members at CMS receive AVID strategies and support from the AVID Site team.
- 100% of of AVID 8th graders took the PSAT practice test.
Help prepare students for college! AVID tutors NEEDED!
- Facilitate a small group of students.
- You do not need to be an expert on any subject.
- You are not acting as a typical “tutor.” You are serving as an adult facilitator of the tutorial process.
- Training is provided and scheduling is flexible.