AVID at Chesapeake Bay is an academic encore course comprised of over 190 students. Interested students apply and participate in the AVID interview process from which selections are made based on the AVID criteria and available spots.
AVID is designed to provide academic support to students “in the middle” in order to prepare them for eligibility to four-year colleges and universities. During the AVID elective, students focus on writing, reading, inquiry, collaboration and organization while engaging in higher level thinking, relational capacity and college exploration. AVID students are mentored on their academic strengths and weaknesses and facilitate small group tutorials with their peers.
- All AVID 8th graders are enrolled in a high school credit bearing Foreign Language course
- 100% of AVID 8th graders take an SAT readiness test
- All staff members at CBMS receive AVID strategies, training and support throughout the year
- Facilitate small groups of students during the school day as they work through problems
- Experts are not needed- just help. Our main goal is to help them use their textbooks, notes and each other as resources
- Training is provided and times are flexible
Find out more about Chesapeake Middle School AVID by visiting their website. CBMS AVID