AVID is a college preparatory program offered to students in grades 9 through 12 at Glen Burnie HS. Interested students apply and may be accepted into the AVID program based on the AVID criteria and available space. Due to the required focus of college preparation, students who have not been in AVID as an underclassman are not typically accepted into the program in grade 12.
AVID is designed to provide academic support to students with the potential to go on to higher education, but do not have the necessary supports to do so. The AVID elective helps to prepare them for eligibility and acceptance to four year colleges and universities. During the AVID elective, students focus on writing, inquiry, collaboration, organization, and reading (WICOR) while engaging in higher level thinking in addition to college and career exploration.
- Glen Burnie HS is certified as Emerging Schoolwide WICOR (Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organizationa nd Reading) across all departments.
- Each year Juniors assist in the Steps For Hope Suicide prevention event held annually.
- 100% of the 2019 AVID seniors have taken the SAT and/or the ACT.
- 100% of the 2019 AVID seniors have earned one or more scholarships for a cummulative total of over 4 million dollars.
- 100% of the 2019 AVID seniors were accepted into 1 or more 4 year colleges.
Help prepare students for college! AVID tutors and Guest Speakers NEEDED! (contact me email@example.com)
- Facilitate small group of students- college students needed.
- You do not need to be an expert on any subject. Your main goal is to help AVID students use their textbooks, notes and each other as resources.
- Training is provided and scheduling is flexible.
- Guest Speakers are needed to share information about their careers.
Glen Burnie High School
7550 B&A Blvd.
Glen Burnie, Md. 21060
AVID Site Coordinator
AVID 9, English 10
Track and Field Coach
There are no upcoming events to display.