What is the Personal Project?It’s exactly what it sounds like - a project that is of personal interest to you! You get to choose the topic to explore AND the type of project you will create. It’s an opportunity to demonstrate your initiative while exploring something meaningful to you.The IB MYP personal project is the culminating project of the IB Middle Years Programme and is completed in the 10th grade. It is an opportunity for the student to showcase the skills they have developed throughout the Middle Years Programme by independently working towards a goal that they have set for themselves. There is no limit to the types of projects that students choose to extend their knowledge and understanding and to develop their skills and attitudes.What's the Point?As Annapolis High is an IB World School. Therefore, all 9th and 10th grade students are IB students in the Middle Years Programme.Students in the Middle Years Programme complete a Personal Project. Students in schools all around the world are doing something similar right now!Along with them, you will likely learn a lot by doing. IB refers to this as principled action. These experiences, or principled actions, will help you grow and work independently and navigate obstacles and projects in the future.Some of these principled actions include:
AHS Personal Project Google WebsiteAHS has taken the launch and administration of the Personal Project completely digital. Everything that students, parents, supervisor, teachers or anyone else who wants to know more about the Personal Project, find inspiration, look at timelines, explore resources, please visit our website.Additionally, students have been added to the "👋Personal Projects Class of 2024" BrightspaceView a video produced by AACPS that provides a more comprehensive student perspective about the Personal Project.PARENTS:
- developing an area of personal interest
- sharing new understanding with friends, family and teachers
- changing your behavior in response to new learnings
- realizing you can make a difference through your actions and decisions
- reflecting regularly on your learning
- connecting how your learning impacts attitudes, behaviors, questions, actions and decisions
Please review the flyer for the 2021-2022 Project Deadlines.Please join your student's Brightspace to track your student's progress on the different parts of the Personal Project.
Beyond the resources on Brightspace, student-planned learning activities include: Brainstorming topic ideas, goal setting, research, setting criteria for success, setting a timeline, reflecting on self-management, communication, research, social, and thinking skills, and reflecting on the overall success of their learning and product.
As students become involved in the self-initiated and self-directed learning process, they will find it easier to construct in-depth knowledge on their topic, and develop an understanding of themselves as learners.
Personal Project Coordinator
Our 3 IB high schools are proud of their status as an IB World Schools offering the IB Middle Years, Diploma and Career-related programs. The IB is an internationally recognized program of study that leads to university recognition and a global certification for students. Schools must go through a lengthy authorization process to become and remain certified as IB schools. In grades 9 and 10, all of our students participate in the IB Middle Years Programme. Additionally, students may choose to participate in coursework offered through our Homeland Security Signature Program, AVID, Project Lead The Way, JROTC, and many other programs. Please visit https://www.aacps.org/ib to learn more about the IB program in AACPS.
All grade 9 and 10 courses are delivered through the International Baccalaureate Middle Years Programme (IB MYP) framework. Within the IB MYP:
- teachers plan units of inquiry that allow students to explore the facts and big ideas related to the content and connected to the world around us.
- teachers receive ongoing in-house and official IB professional development.
- our students take tests similar to what you remember from school, but our IB courses include authentic assessments: projects or performance assessments which have connections to real life situations.
- teachers and students use IB rubrics that are developmental and measure a student’s progress over time.
- we focus more on international-mindedness, which, beyond exploring other countries and ways of life, includes deepening our understanding of global perspectives.
- we use an inquiry-based approach that helps develop our students’ ability to question and explore avenues they want to learn more about
The personal project is the capstone project for all students in grade 10. It is an opportunity for students to put into practice all of the skills they have learned over the course of the programme. The personal project is an exciting opportunity for all MYP High School students to pursue a topic of interest about which they are passionate. Students to complete a Personal Project over the course of their 9th and 10 grade year. The project in our IB MYP schools is a community service requirement and the 25 hours IB indicates it should take a student from start to finish to complete will count towards their AACPS service learning hours requirement to graduate. As an IB World School, the personal project is the only way that all students will satisfy the service learning graduation requirement set forth by AACPS and the state of Maryland.
The Personal Project is facilaited across various subjects through instructional opportunties and embedded in the GCC, Language & Literature 9 and 10th grades. Students are provided opportunties in those courses to learn through lessons time to work on their Personal Project at various stages of the process.