STem Middle - Grade 6 overview
Grade 6 STEM students are enrolled in core and encore subjects - all with STEM integrated topics, strategies, or activities. Students are cohorted in Science and Social Studies Classes in order to incorporate significant STEM-related content and skills into the classroom experience. English language Arts Class and Math are comprised of both STEM and general education students, as is the case in the Encore classes.
Grade 6 STEM students are required to take one semester of the following electives:
- STEM Tool Kit
- Computing and Automation
- Project Lead the Way Technology Education
- STEM Art
- World Language will begin in 7th grade
CLUBS and CO-CURRICULAR OFFERINGS:
All Grade 6 STEM students are required to actively participate in:
- STEM Saturdays (3 mandatory, 1 optional)
- STEM Field Experiences (during the school day and on STEM Saturdays)
- School STEM Clubs (for at least a semester, but ideally for the entire year)
- STEM Competitions
- STEM Project/Problem Based Lessons (Through Science and Social Studies courses)
Students will also participate in STEM Summer Programs that include an ELA and Math Summer Math Google Class and a STEM Camp.
CHARACTER and ACADEMICS:
All STEM students will treat one another and their adult leaders with respect through their words and actions. They will complete their work to the best of their abilities and attempt to maintain a good academic record and a positive record of attendance. They will actively participate in class, assist one another, and ask for help when they need it.
Our young STEM students work hard. They continue to gain knowledge and skills in leadership, communication and community service.