International Student Registration
If your family speaks a language other than English at home and your child has never attended school in the United States, register your child at the International Student and Family Welcome Center (IWC.) Call 410-263-6420 for an appointment. The registration process includes a verification of documents, including birth records, proof of residency in Anne Arundel County, immunization records, and an evaluation of prior school transcripts. At the time of registration, students are screened for English Language proficiency in order to place them in the appropriate program, or ELA Newcomer Academy, targeted to provide supplemental English language support and education.
What is the International Student and Family Welcome Center (IWC)?
The IWC is the first point of contact for international students entering Anne Arundel County Public Schools. At the IWC you can
- register your child for school
- have your child screened for English Language Acquisition (ELA) and other educational services
- get information about community services and resources for your family
Who registers at the IWC?
You should come to the IWC if your family speaks a language other than English at home and your child has attended school in another country.
Who should register at their home school?
- All new kindergarten students whose home language is not English
- All new students in grade 1 - 12 whose home language is not English and who are transferring from another school system in the United States.