IB MYP Middle School
The IB MYP, for students aged 11 to 16, provides a framework of academic challenge that encourages students to embrace and understand the connections between traditional subjects and the real world, and become critical and reflective thinkers. The Office of Advanced Studies and Programs offers the Middle Years Program at Annapolis, MacArthur, and Old Mill Middle North Schools.
The IB MYP Programme:
- encourages international-mindedness in IB students, starting with a foundation in their own language and culture;
- encourages a positive attitude to learning by challenging students to solve problems, show creativity and resourcefulness and participate actively in their communities;
- reflects real life by providing a framework that allows students to see the connections among the subjects themselves, and between the subjects and real issues;
- supports the development of communication skills to encourage inquiry, understanding, language acquisition, and to allow student reflection and expression;
- emphasizes the development of the whole student – physically, intellectually, emotionally and ethically.
Why attend an IB MYP Middle School?
Research conducted by the IBO (www.ibo.org) shows that students participating in the IB MYP:
- build confidence in managing their own learning
- learn by doing, connecting the classroom to the larger world
- outperform non-IB students in critical academic skills [PDF, 647KB]
- thrive in positive school cultures where they are engaged and motivated to excel [PDF, 3.2MB]
- develop an understanding of global challenges and a commitment to act as responsible citizens.
VIDEO: The IB Middle Years Programme
APPLY TO IB MYP!
District IB Coordinator
IB Teacher Specialist
IB PYP Teacher Specialist