MYP Personal Project
The Personal Project in our IB MYP schools is a community service requirement and the 25 hours IB indicates it should take a student from start to finish to complete will count towards their AACPS service learning hours requirement to graduate. As an IB World School, the personal project is the only way that all students will satisfy the service learning graduation requirement set forth by AACPS and the state of Maryland.
The Personal Project is facilitated across various subjects through instructional opportunities and embedded in the Global Community Citizenship course in 9th grade, Language & Literature (English) 9 and 10, and US Government as well as a few other courses. Students are provided opportunities in those courses to work on their Personal Project at various stages of the process.
The IB MYP personal project is the culminating project of the IB Middle Years Programme (MYP). It is an opportunity for the students to showcase the skills they have developed throughout the Middle Years Programme by independently working on a project of their own choosing. There is no limit to the types of projects that students can choose to do: science experiments, community service projects, artistic endeavors, and design & construction projects.
These student-planned learning activities include:
- deciding what they want to learn about, identifying what they already know, and discovering what they will need to know to complete the project
- creating proposals or criteria for their project, planning their time and materials, and recording development of the project
- making decisions, developing understandings and solving problems, communicating with their supervisor and others, and creating a product or developing an outcome evaluating the product/outcome and reflecting on their project and their learning.
The aims of the MYP projects are to encourage and enable students to:
- participate in a sustained, self-directed inquiry
- generate creative new insights and develop deeper understandings through in-depth investigation
- demonstrate the skills, attitudes and knowledge required to complete a project over an extended period of time
- communicate effectively in a variety of situations
- demonstrate responsible action through, or as a result of, learning
- appreciate the process of learning and take pride in their accomplishments.
Contact our IB MYP coordinator or Personal Project coodinator for more information.