Ms. Kimberly Holmes – 6th Grade School Counselor (email@example.com)
Ms. Christina Ramirez-Holmes – 7th Grade School Counselor (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Mr. Ben Taddei – 8th Grade School Counselor (email@example.com)
Ms. Bonnie Woody – Secretary (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Office Phone: 410-787-6350
Office Fax: 410-787-6351
The School Counseling Department is excited to welcome all 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students and their families to Corkran. We are looking forward to working collaboratively with students, parents, teachers, and administrators to ensure academic success for all of our students. We are available to discuss academic, personal/social, or career questions or concerns and ask that you please call ahead or email us to schedule appointments whenever possible.
Corkran Middle School Counseling Department
We are a supportive, positive, innovative, collaborative, and data-driven learning community committed to seeking excellence and promoting rigor in order to maximally prepare all students for college and/or career success. We believe that all students deserve to be challenged to meet high standards in order to become responsible citizens and lifelong learners in an ever-changing society.
Corkran Middle School Counseling Department
The mission of the Corkran Middle School Counseling Department is to provide a positive, proactive, comprehensive program designed to support and enhance the academic, career, and personal/social development of ALL students as they journey towards their post-secondary endeavors.
The Corkran Middle School Counseling Department also supports the missions of Corkran Middle School and Anne Arundel County Public Schools.
The School Counseling Department provides services through the following ongoing roles and responsibilities listed below:
- Provides short-term individual and group counseling services on an ongoing and as needed basis.
- Delivers classroom counseling lessons to all students (academic, career, and personal/social topics).
- Facilitates mediation/conflict resolution among students.
- Provides consultation services for students, teachers, and parents to promote academic success.
- Provides families with links to community resources and agencies.
- Assists families with transfers to a new school:
- Evaluates the records of entering students for proper placement, and provides important information through registrations.
- Coordinates articulation for students entering and leaving middle school, including classroom presentations, coordination of the 8thgrade mentor program, and summer orientations.
- Collaborates with administration, interdisciplinary teams, appropriate staff, and community members to promote academic success in a safe learning environment.
- Participates on the following teams as appropriate:
- AVID Site Team
- PBIS Team
- School Improvement Team
- Collaboration with teachers and administrators for student support through Interdisciplinary Team, Student Intervention Team, and Multidisciplinary Intervention Team
- Attendance Committee
- Home Teaching Case Management
- Interprets and maintains the permanent records of students.
- Utilizes data for purposeful program planning.
- Celebrates student successes through quarterly honor roll celebrations.
- Additional Student Services Support at our school includes:
- Kenya Mewborn – School Psychologist
- Ellen Erickson – School Social Worker
- Charlene Thomas – Pupil Personnel Worker
- Suzie Barnhouse – School Nurse
- Kelly Dohony – Villa Maria Counselor
Please call ahead to schedule all enrollment appointments à 410-787-6350
You will need to bring:
Two proofs of residency: One must be a mortgage statement, deed or lease and one must be a utility bill showing your current address.
Proof of custody, if applicable
Immunization records – proof of 2 MMRs
Most recent Report Card
Any evaluations – standardized test scores, etc.
Documentation of Special Services – IEP, 504, BIP, etc.
Any medical concerns
For further information about AACPS Enrollment Procedures please visit this link: ENROLLMENT
If you feel that your child is being harassed or bullied, please read the information at the attached link, fill out the form, and send it to Corkran Middle School as soon as possible. The school will address the issue and provide support to you and your child to ensure that they feel safe at school. If you need support regarding a potential harassment or bullying situation, do not hesitate to call a school counselor or an administrator at 410-787-6350.
Mental Health / Crisis Resources
There are various resources available to assist families in dealing with mental health and/or crisis situations. If your family needs support with concerns related to suicide, self-harm, grief, substance abuse, or other mental health concerns, you may access this link (https://md02215556.schoolwires.net/Page/1017) to find recommended resources and supports. You are also encouraged to reach out to your child’s school counselor.
Announcements Corkran School Counseling
Calling all parents/guardians who are passionate about their careers! The school counseling department hosts school-wide career speakers during lunchtime on one Friday per month throughout the school year. We are interested in hosting career speakers from a wide variety of fields. If you or someone you know is interested, please view the flyer below and click the Google Forms link to share your contact information, career, and availability.