The PTA Mission and Purpose:
The PTA’s mission guides its plans, goals, and actions. As part of the PTA family, you play an important role in achieving the mission.
The overall purpose of PTA is to make every child’s potential a reality by engaging and empowering families and communities to advocate for all children.
PTA has been advocating for children and families for more than 119 years. Our work is centered on our historical purposes which have guided our association through the years.
Purposes of PTA:
- To promote the welfare of children and youth in home, school, places of worship and throughout the community
- To raise the standards of home life
- To advocate for laws that further the education, physical & mental health, welfare and the safety of children and youth
- To promote the collaboration and engagement of families and educators in the education of children and youth
- To engage the public in united efforts to secure the physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, and social well-being of all children and youth
- To advocate for the fiscal responsibility regarding public tax dollars in public education funding
President - Oversees all functions of PTA.
Vice President & Membership Chair - Assists president and performs duties of president in his or her absence. As Membership Chair: recruits PTA members, creates registration application and collects dues, compiles, and maintains member list, and distributes membership cards. Treasurer - Helps create, maintain, and manage PTA budget, completes and submits required financial related forms to state and feds as necessary, and maintains PTA financial records in good order for audit purposes.
Secretary - Records and distributes monthly board meeting minutes, assists with document reproduction, and facilitates communication with board and members.
Legislative Chair/Leadership Advisor - Keeps board and members up to date on local, MD and National PTA Legislative work and leadership training opportunities. (vacant)
Volunteer Coordinator & Communications -
Works with school to increase family involvement, coordinate volunteers for PTA events, and provide family education and resources.
Creates membership email alias, prepares weekly PTA newsletter using mailchip distribution.
Ways & Means Chair - Initiates and conducts fundraisers, applies for grants, and requests donations from local businesses.
Family Events Co-Chairs
Plans and organizes family fun events such as Muffins for Moms, Donuts for Dads, Skate Nights, Family Dances, Strong Dads, Girls’ Night Out, Career Fair, Grandparents’ Day, Parent Workshop, Promotion to Middle School Celebration, etc.
Dining Out Chair - Identifies, selects, and schedules monthly Dining Out Night with local restaurants.
Spirit Wear Chair - Responsible for identifying t-shirt vendor, “advertising” the spirit wear, collecting the money and placing the order with our vendor.
Other Board Members
A PTA Board also includes school principals, assistant principals and teacher representatives.