Math Homework Help
Mathematics homework can be tough. Parents can feel even more helpless than their children. Even if you once knew a certain topic, you may have forgotten how to do the problems, or your child might have learned it differently. Relax. You still have options.
- Children often know more than they think. They were in class.
- Even if they start out confused, talking through the problems can lead to solutions. You can be a sounding board.
- Ask your child to teach you what she or he learned in class. If your child knows you will expect a lesson at home, your child will pay close attention in class and may do better.
- Talk to the teacher about her or his expectations—and about your expectations. What is a fair amount and type of homework? Is there a low-stress way to handle it when homework seems too hard?
- Get help. Use neighbors and friends. Use the Anne Arundel County public library homework hot-line and other resources at www.aacpl.net, give it a try.
Anne Arundel County Public Library www.aacpl.net
Figure This! Math Challenges for Families http://www.figurethis.org
Purple Math http://www.purplemath.com/
A-Plus Math http://www.aplusmath.com
Resources for Middle School Parents & Students www.Mathforthemiddle.com
www.algebra1.com (choose Red, Algebra 1 textbook)