Welcome To The Brooklyn Park Middle School Library Media Center
Media Center Social Media Pages
Visit the library webpage: BPMS Library T.A.L.E (Thinking Arts Lab & Exploratorium)
Use of Media Center
Students use the Media center for guided or independent research, personal or class assigned book borrowing, reading in the lounge area, and teacher assigned work on the computers or at the tables. Students should always have a predetermined purpose when visiting the media center.
Students may borrow up to 3 books for 3 weeks and one magazine for two school days. Some Reference books can be borrowed for one day. Students may not borrow anything if they have an overdue item.
Please note: all items borrowed from BPMS Media Center must be checked out!
Student Account Access
Students can log into their library account to see what they have checked out, if they have overdues, or if they have fines for lost or damaged books.
Follow these steps to log in:
Go to the BPMS Catalog
Login: Upper right corner
Username: 6 digit school ID number
Password: Last 4 digits of same number
Click the drop down menu by their name to see a list of options.
The circulation system routes overdue slips to students via their Language Arts teachers. The notices are printed at the end of each marking period and placed in the LA teachers' mailboxes. Teachers should distribute them ASAP after they are received. ANY student questions or concerns should be promptly directed to the Media Specialist.
Fines and Lost or Damaged books
Fines are not levied for overdue books but payment for lost and damaged books is expected. Bills for lost items are first given directly to the student and then mailed home if not resolved.
Click here to access the Online School Payment Portal but please note that our school still accepts cash and check payments.
We welcome student projects for display.
Through the Library Club, all students are welcome to select to be a Student Media Assistant to receive training and give help with shelving and special projects before & after school or during lunch in the Media Center.
Have an hour to spare? Volunteer in the library! Contact us to find out how you can help.
- Shelving books
- Shelving and keeping magazines in chronological order
- Knowing the physical layout of the library and where materials are located
- Assisting students with computer/printer problems as necessary
- Checking computer printers and refill with paper as necessary
- Assisting with preparation of bulletin boards in the library
- Straightening book shelves
- Shelf reading
- Assisting with media production and laminating as needed
- Performing other tasks as assigned by library staff
- Scolastic Book Fair- Fall
- National Library Week Activities -April
- Black-Eyed Susan Book Award Voting - April
- Book Fair: Buy One, Get One Free- Spring
- Paperback Book Exchange - June
A+ Student HELP
- Big 6 Research Skills
- How to create a Bibliography!(Video tutorials from Easybib.com)
- Anne Arundel Public Library
Are you looking for a good book to read?
- The American Library Association has some suggestions for middle schoolers.
- Get the summer reading list at the Public Library.
- Get another book by your favorite author.
- Ask you Media Specialist for a suggestion.
- Take a look at the past and current Maryland Black-Eyed Susan Book Award Winners list.
Search all AACPS Libraries: opac.aacps.org
BPMS Catalog Home Page
Includes links to the Classic catalog, award-wining book lists, and the new eBooks browser, among others. Try them all! To check out eBooks, students use their lunch number (SIF) as their ID and the last 4 digits of their lunch number as their password.
Note the feature below. You can modify the number of items shown per screen after a search.
The Browse Search Screen
This is accessible from row of buttons at the top of the Search Screen. The drop menu by Title includes additional ways to search.
The Combination Search Screen
To refine your search, use AND, OR, and NOT for those hard to locate topics or when 'regular' searches yield too many results.
The Online Database Screen
Both student and professional resources are available here. Please do not assume that your students know how to use these resources. Check with the Media Specialist for instruction in their use and user names and passwords.
KC Web Catalog
This is the type of catalog that students have used in elementary school. Check out the various icon links. Most search results will also include set of related web links. Very handy - search for books and web sites at the same time!