NOVEMBER 19, 2018 - The School Board Appointment Commission of Anne Arundel County has appointed Robert Leib of Harwood to fill the vacant District 30 seat on the Board of Education of Anne Arundel County. More information here.
The School Board Appointment Commission of Anne Arundel County was created by the General Assembly through the passage of House Bill 716. Governor Larry Hogan signed the bill into law on May 4, 2017, and it took effect on June 1, 2017.
The Commission is charged with appointing individuals to fill vacancies on the Board of Education as the Board transitions from an entirely appointed Board to one that is entirely elected.
The Commission shall hold at least two public hearings on candidates for vacancies before making an appointment to the Board.
The Commission consists of the following 13 members:
- Two members appointed by the County Executive of Anne Arundel County (one of these appointments must be a parent of a child enrolled in AACPS and not more than may be a current employee of Anne Arundel County)
- One member appointed by the Teachers Association of Anne Arundel County
- One member appointed by the Anne Arundel County Chamber of Commerce
- One member appointed by the Anne Arundel County Community College Board of Trustees
- One member appointed by the Association of Educational Leaders
- Two members appointed by the Anne Arundel County Council of Parent Teacher Associations (these appointees may not be affiliated with a teachers’ union or association or be a current employee of Anne Arundel County)
- One member appointed by the Anne Arundel County Branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People
- One member appointed by CASA de Maryland
- One member appointed by the Anne Arundel Special Education Citizen Advisory Committee (this appointee must be a parent of a child with special needs in AACPS)
- One member appointed by the West County Chamber of Commerce
- One member appointed by the Chesapeake Regional Association of Student Councils (this appointee must be an AACPS student)
The Commission meets in the Board Room of the Parham Building, located at 2644 Riva Road in Annapolis.
Meetings are open to the public and televised live on AACPS-TV, which can be found on Channel 96 on Comcast and Broadstripe, and Channel 36 on Verizon. High definition broadcasts can be seen on Channel 996 on Comcast and Channel 496 on Broadstripe.