During each school year, various drills are conducted at every school to ensure that staff and students are prepared in the event of an emergency. These drills include monthly fire/evacuation drills.
In addition, schools perform additional emergency exercises developed by the Office of School Security. These exercises include, but are not limited to:
- evacuation for utility emergencies
- shelter for weather related emergencies
- shelter for outside hazardous materials release
- dangerous situation inside and/or outside of school building
- reverse evacuation back into the school
- bomb threats
These drills are discussed with staff prior to the drill, and evaluated once the drill is complete. In some cases, the drills may be discussed with students before they take place. Students and staff with special needs are included in all emergency planning.