Service Learning Portal
ServeAACPS, the brand new service-learning portal, is an interactive web platform that currently provides high school students with options for service-learning opportunities all over the county! The portal allows partners -- who can be businesses, communities, or club advisors and teachers in schools! -- to post volunteer opportunities. Once these volunteer opportunties are posted, registered students can essentially "shop" and sign-up for varying opportunities that allow them to explore and serve their communities according to their interests!
While these "above-and-beyond" service-learning experiences will not generally count toward the 75-hour service-learning graduation requirement, participation in the independent service experiences that are posted pn the portal will:
- make students eligible for county-wide recognition
- expose students to relationships with the community -- and with partners from the private, public, and non-profit sector
- allow students to explore potential career fields in a fun, low-stakes environment
- provide an electronic record of all participating students' service experiences, which will be readily accessible and useful when applying for internships, colleges, and even clubs and honors societies in high school.
Most importantly, relevant research shows that students who engage in independent service opportunites -- particularly those that they choose according to their interests -- are more likely to develop life-long, engaged relationships with their local to global community.
The ultimate goal of our service learning program is to help students become an integral part of their civic surroundings and help them understand and appreciate the role of service in a democratic society. Using the Service Learning Portal, students can volunteer with organizations outside of the classroom to improve their academic skills. While serving, students apply what they learn in school to real-world issues; they then reflect on their experience to reinforce the link between their service and their learning.
The Service Learning Portal is now available for students who attend AACPS high schools to use. Students who are interested can see their school Signature Program Facilitator or school club advisor for more information on how to register. Students are also welcome to visit the service-learning portal at serveaacps.org.
Service Learning Portal Resources
The documents below are for students, teachers, and partners who use our portal. If you would like more information on how to get involved with the portal, please contact your school's Signature Program Facilitator or Dr. Jasmine Coleman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Students and Families
- Student-Parent-School Agreement (Note: This must be signed and submitted to a teacher, advisor, or Signature Facilitator before any student can use the portal)
- Registering for the Portal: A Student Resource
Community Partners and Teachers
- Community Partner Agreement
- Registering for the Portal: A Business Partner Resource
- Administrator (School Based Facilitator) Resource
Note for Teachers: To post service opportunities for students, teachers, club advisors, and coaches should register for the portal as a "Partner". To receive administrator access (to engage with and manage your students on the portal), please e-mail email@example.com.