AVID is a college preparatory program offered to students in grades 9 through 12 at Glen Burnie HS. Interested students apply and are accepted into the AVID program based on the AVID criteria and available space. Due to the required focus of college preparation, students who have not been in AVID as an underclassman are not typically accepted into the program in grade 12.
AVID is designed to provide academic support to students in the academic middle in order to prepare them for eligibility and acceptance to four year colleges and universities. During the AVID elective, students focus on writing, reading, inquiry, collaboration, and organization of thoughts and materials while engaging in higher level thinking, college and career exploration.
- Glen Burnie HS is a highly certified AVID site using WICOR strategies (Writing, Inquiry, Collaboration, Organization, and Reading across all departments.
- In 2015-16 AVID Juniors spearheaded a community fundraising event partnered with Outreach and raised over $3,000.00 to provide more than 2,500 meals to families in need within and around the Glen Burnie community.
- During the 2016-17 school year Juniors assisted in the Steps For Hope Suicide prevention event held annualy at GBHS in the stadium.
- 100% of AVID seniors have taken an AP course, and the SAT and/or the ACT to date.
- To date, AVID seniors have earned over 2 million dollars in college scholarships since 2015.
Help prepare students for college! AVID tutors and Guest Speakers NEEDED! (contact me firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Facilitate small group of students- college students needed.
- You do not need to be an expert on any subject. Your main goal is to help them use their textbooks, notes and each other as resources.
- Training is provided and scheduling is flexible.
- Guest Speakers needed to share information about careers.