How to Become a Volunteer
Contact a school where you would like to volunteer and talk with the staff member who coordinates the volunteer program. Once you have identified a volunteer opportunity you are interested in, you will need to do the following.
- Attend a volunteer orientation at the school.
- Watch a sexual harassment and child abuse training module and complete a verification form which is kept on file at the school.
- Go to https://www.aacps.org/chaperone and scroll to the bottom of the page to request a commericial background check. Successful completion of a commerical background check is required before any person has access to students, either on or off school property. There is no cost to the volunteer.
- Know what level of background check is required. The following groups of individuals must complete a fingerprint-supported background check. The cost of fingerprinting is $58.25 and it includes the commercial background check.
- All overnight volunteers or chaperones
- All drown proofing volunteers or chaperones (effective 07/02/2018)
- Any volunteer or chaperone with one-on-one unsupervised/unrestricted access to children
Please note: Commercial and fngerprint-supported background checks for chaperones should be completed at least 3 weeks prior to the scheduled field trip.
Contact a school's staff liaison for volunteers to learn more about opportunities and become a volunteer.
For systemwide questions about volunteerism, contact Shelley Davenport, Family Involvement Specialist, Office of School & Family Partnerships.