AVID is an accelerated academic encore course comprised of approximately 200 students. Interested students apply and participate in an interview process that has both written and verbal components. Student attendance, behavior, academic history, and enthusiasm in the AVID program are weighed into the selection process.
AVID is designed to provide academic support in rigorous, advanced courses to students “in the academic middle.” Participation in rigorous academics prepares students for four-year college and university eligibility. During the AVID elective, students focus on writing, reading, inquiry, collaboration and organization while engaging in higher level thinking, teambuilding and college exploration. AVID students are mentored on their academic strengths and weaknesses and facilitate small group tutorials with their peers.
- 31% of the students enrolled at Meade Middle School are in AVID
- 54% of Meade Middle School AVID students receive Free or Reduced Lunch
- 84% of Meade Middle School AVID students are minority students who are historically under-represented in college & university acceptance
- 76% of Meade Middle School AVID students enrolled in the 2015 - 2016 AVID program are in an advanced course other than math
- 68% of AVID 6th graders are in an advanced math course
- 100% of our 8th grade AVID students take the ReadiStep Test, a SAT readiness test