AVID is an academic encore class comprised of over 160 students. Interested students apply and participate in the AVID interview process from which selections are made based on the AVID criteria and available spots.
AVID is designed to provide academic support to students “in the middle” in order to prepare them for eligibility to four-year colleges and universities. During the AVID elective, students focus on writing, reading, inquiry, collaboration and organization while engaging in higher level thinking, teambuilding and college exploration. AVID students are mentored on their academic strengths and weaknesses and facilitate small group tutorials with their peers.
- 92% of AVID 8th graders are enrolled in at least one honors level course for the 2015-2016 school year
- All staff members at GFMS receive AVID strategies, training and support throughout the year
Help prepare students for college! AVID tutors NEEDED!
- Facilitate a small group of students.
- No need to be an expert on any subject.
- You are not acting as a typical “tutor.” You are serving as an adult facilitator of the tutorial process.
- Training is provided and scheduling is flexible.