AVID is an academic encore class comprised of over 95 students. Interested students apply and participate in the AVID interview process from which selections are made based on the AVID criteria and available spots.
AVID is designed to provide academic support to students "in the middle" in order to prepare them for eligibility to four-year colleges and universities. During the AVID elective class, students focus on writing, reading, inquiry, collaboration and organization while engaging in higher level thinking, teambuilding and college exploration. AVID students are mentored on their academic strengths and weaknesses and facilitate small group tutorials with their peers.
- CMS AVID students' attendance has exceeded 95% for the 2014 - 2015 school year.
- All AVID students are enrolled in a high school credit bearing Foreign Language course.
- 100% of of AVID 8th graders took the ReadiStep Test: an SAT readiness test.
- All staff members at CMS receive AVID strategies, training and support throughout the year.
- In the Spring of 2016, CMS will become the first AVID National Demonstration School in the state of Maryland.
Find out more about AVID at Corkran Middle School by visiting their AVID website.