AVID is an academic encore class compromised of 185 students. Students who are interested in the AVID program can apply and participate in the interview and selection process. All students are selected based on the AVID criteria and available spots.
AVID is designed to provide academic support to students "in the middle in order to prepare them for eligibility to four-year colleges and universities." During the AVID elective, students focus on writing, reading, inquiry, collaboration and organization while engaging in higher level thinking, team building, and college exploration. AVID students are mentored on their academic strengths and weaknesses throughout the week and facilitate small group tutorials with their peers.
- Student enrollment for the 2015-2016 school year has increased by 20%
- All AVID students are enrolled in a high school credit bearing Foreign Language course
- 100% of AVID 8th graders receive acceptance in the high school level AVID program
- All staff members at Bates Middle school receive AVID strategies, training and support throughout the year
Help prepare students for college! AVID tutors NEEDED!
- Facilitate a small group of students during the school day
- No need to be an expert on any subject
- Training is provided and scheduling is flexible