AVID is an academic encore course comprised of over 180 students. Interested students apply and participate in the AVID interview process. Selections are made based on the AVID criteria and availability.
AVID is designed to provide academic support to students “in the middle” in order to prepare them for eligibility to four-year colleges and universities. During the AVID elective, students focus on writing, reading, inquiry, collaboration and organization while engaging in higher level thinking, teambuilding and college and career exploration. AVID students are mentored on their academic strengths and weaknesses and facilitate small group tutorials with their peers.
Help prepare students for college! AVID tutors NEEDED!
- Facilitate a small group of students during the school day as they work through problems from math, science, social studies and Language Arts classes.
- You do not need to be an expert on any subject. Your main goal is to help students use their textbooks, notes and each other as resources.
- You are not acting as a typical “tutor.” You are serving as an adult facilitator of the tutorial process.
- Training is provided and scheduling is flexible.
- If you are interested in volunteering as an AVID Tutor please contact Mrs. Kearns.