• Standardized Testing

    In Maryland, home-instructed students are not required to take any standardized or state-mandated tests.  If the parent chooses, the student may participate in the standardized testing program conducted in AACPS.  Home-instructed students may take these tests at the public school to which their home address is assigned (referred to as the zoned school).  When students are enrolled in home instruction, the local, public school is informed if participation in standardized testing is elected.  Home instruction parents should contact the zoned school and communicate with the School Testing Coordinator regarding testing deadlines and dates.

    For more information regarding the testing program in AACPS please visit Instructional Testing and Student Data.

    Special Education Testing

    At the parent's request, AACPS will assess a home-instructed child for special education needs.  If the formal evaluation determines that special education services are needed and appropriate for the student, an Individualized Educational Plan (IEP) is prepared.  If home instruction is continued, it is the parent's responsibility to provide those services or seek those special educational services outside of the school system.

    Advanced Placement Testing

    If, through online courses or other instruction, a home-instructed student feels he/she has mastered course work that is equivalent to AP (Advanced Placement) high school courses, the student may arrange to take AP exams through their local high school.  All students who sit for AP exams in May, whether home-instructed or enrolled in AACPS, are required to pay the fee charged by the College Board for each test.

    GED Testing 

    Students who have completed a home instruction program through grade 12 do not receive a diploma from AACPS or the State of Maryland.  If desired, students age 16 or older may apply to test for a Maryland GED diploma.  Unless enrolled in an online school which awards its own high school diploma, this is the only way home-instructed students in Maryland may receive a high school/equivalent diploma.  While college admissions offices typically welcome applications from home-instructed students, it is wise to check with each particular college to find out their admission policy regarding high school diplomas and GEDs.  Please note that it is not always possible to apply for financial aid without a high school diploma.  


Upcoming Events

  • There are no upcoming events to display.