High School

  • Does a student receive a Maryland High School Diploma upon completion of a home instruction program? (marylandpublicschools.org)

    No, a Maryland High School Diploma is a specific kind of high school diploma that can only be issued by public schools, and which can only be issued after a child has met the requirements of COMAR 13A.03.02.09B. This type of diploma is therefore not available to students who complete their secondary education in a home instruction program. If a child transfers from a home instruction program to a public school and meets all graduation requirements, then he or she may receive a Maryland High School Diploma. Alternatively, if a child is enrolled in a nonpublic or church-exempt school and meets that
    school’s graduation requirements, then the child may receive a diploma issued by that school’s legal authority. 

    Another option is to obtain a Maryland High School Diploma by examination, which requires that a child successfully complete the General Educational Development (GED) test. If a child is 16 years old or over and is either participating in a home instruction program or has completed such a program, he or she may register for the GED test. 

    Through the ECAP program, students aged 16 or older may take courses at Anne Arundel Community College.  A reduced tuition is applied and course credit earned may be transferrable to a 4-year college or university.  

    To receive your 25% ECAP discount on tuition at Anne Arundel Community College, the cashier’s office must receive confirmation directly from our office that your son/daughter is enrolled with Home Instruction.  To request that a verification notice from our office be sent to Anne Arundel Community College, simply email the following information to the Home Instruction Office (homeinstruction@aacps.org). 

    • student's full name
    • student's date of birth
    • parent's name
    • parent's phone contact #
    • term in which student will enroll (fall/winter/spring/summer)

    NOTE:  A separate verification is required for each term (fall/winter/spring/summer) your child enrolls in ECAP.

    MVA Learners' Driving Permit

    Home instructed students seeking a driver's license begin by downloading and printing the MVA Verification of Attendance form for a Learner's Permit. The application process requires that this form be signed and sealed by the AACPS Home Instruction Coordinator. Forms should be sent to the Home School Office via USPS mail, email, fax, or drop-off.  Please allow 3-5 days for processing.



Upcoming Events

  • There are no upcoming events to display.