Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)

  • How do I enroll for this program?

    You are eligible to sign-up for a dependent care (daycare) spending and/or healthcare spending account within 31 days of your date of employment or during the annual open enrollment period each fall (re-enrollment is required every year). You may also join the spending account benefit program or change your deduction with an eligible lifestyle change.

    What are plan maximums for deferral?

    The Dependent Care Spending Account annual limit is $5,000 and the Healthcare Spending Account annual limit is $2,750.

    Does use–it-or-lose it still apply?

    If you do not have eligible healthcare expenses to be used against your deferral by the end of the plan year,  $50 to $550 of your unused balance is eligible for rollover to the next calendar year according to IRS rules. Remember you have until March 31 each year to submit eligible expenses for the prior plan year.

    Unused dependent care funds are forfeited at the end of the calendar year.

    How do I seek reimbursement?

    Reimbursement is provided through our administrator, WEX. A debit card, is available for both Dependent Care and Healthcare Spending Account expenses. Paper claim reimbursements are processed daily. Personal documentation should be saved for proof of purchase/or co-payments.

    How do I obtain more information?

    Employees may also contact HR/Benefits at 410-222-5221/5219.

    Visit wexinc.com or call the WEX (formerly Discovery Benefits) customer service line at 866-451-3399 (Customer Service hours 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. EST, Monday – Friday), also via email at customerservice@wexhealth.com 

    Claims and substantiation may be submitted to WEX via the web at www.wexinc.com, mobile app (available for free with Apple or Android), mail, or fax 866-451-3245

    Mailing address: WEX, PO Box 2926 ∙ Fargo, ND 58108-2926