- Anne Arundel County Public Schools
- Code Blue with Liberal Leave
CODE BLUE WITH LIBERAL LEAVE (ALL SCHOOLS CLOSED)
On a Code Blue with Liberal Leave day:
All public schools in Anne Arundel County will be closed for the day because of emergency conditions, but Central and Satellite Offices and school offices are open. Eligible employees with annual leave are free to use such leave on this day without securing prior approval from their supervisors, except as outlined in any applicable Negotiated Agreements.
Evening High School and the Alternative Programs are canceled when Anne Arundel County Public Schools are closed because of inclement weather.
After-school and evening activities at schools -- including practices, performances, clubs, and athletic events - are canceled when Anne Arundel County Public Schools are closed due to inclement weather.
The following employees DO NOT REPORT TO WORK:
- Unit I - 10-month employees ( all 191-, 193-, 195-, and 200-, and 210- day employees)
- Unit III - Drivers and Assistants of Board of Education owned school buses; transportation technicians (200-day)
- Unit III - Food Service Workers (school-based only)
- Unit IV - Teacher Assistants - 10-month employees (all 191- day employees), and 200 day school-based secretarial staff/employees
- Unit V - 10-month employees (all 191-, 193- and 200-day employees)
The following employees SHALL REPORT TO WORK ON TIME OR AT THE DISCRETION OF THEIR SUPERVISOR:
- All Logistics Support, Operations, and Maintenance Unit III (AFSCME) employees;
- All 12-month Unit III (ASFCME) bus Maintenance employees.
- Teachers and therapists at the Infants and Toddlers Program, and Child Find (CF), and School-Based 12-month Occupational Therapists/Physical Therapists are not required to report to work on the first two (2) days when schools are closed for emergencies and a Code Blue with Liberal Leave has been announced. On subsequent Code Blue with Liberal Leave days, these employees must report to work or use available annual leave. Teachers and therapists at ITP and CF who visit students at their homes will not be required to travel to those locations, but are encouraged to do so when it can be done safely, as determined by the employee.
- 193, 195, 200- and 210-day Unit I employees may elect to report to work on Code Blue with Liberal Leave days in order to fulfill their required duty day obligations.a In accordance with the procedures in place for reporting this time, such employees should note “WORKH” on the timesheets for any days worked when 191-day teachers are not required to work.
210-day employees work the same duty days as 191-day employees (specifically, teachers), but are required to be at work five duty days prior to teachers, and work four (4) duty days after the last duty day for teachers. In addition, they must work 10 flexible duty days. Working on a Code Blue with Liberal Leave day may fulfill a portion of the flexible duty days required.
- 12-month Unit IV school-based employees shall be allotted up to a maximum of two (2) Code Blue with Liberal Leave days for which they shall not be required to report to work, in accordance with the Negotiated Agreement between the Board of Education and the Secretaries and Assistants Association of Anne Arundel County (SAAAAC).
After the two-day allotment is exhausted, 12-month Unit IV school-based employees shall report to work within two (2) hours of the usual reporting time. The first two declared Code Blue with Liberal Leave days of the 2022-2023 school year shall be used as the two-day allotment for 12-month Unit IV school-based employees referenced above.
- All other employees shall report to their job assignments as soon as possible, but no later than two (2) hours after the usual reporting time.
- When Code Blue with Liberal Leave is in effect and the Central and Satellite Offices close at or before 12 noon, employees who choose not to report for work are required to use one-half day of leave.
- When Code Blue with Liberal Leave is in effect and the Central and Satellite Offices close after 12 noon, employees who choose not to report for work will be required to use a full day of leave.
Should an eligible employee (Facilities Division Unit III employees and Unit III Bus Maintenance employees are not eligible employees) determine that driving conditions are such that he/she cannot safely report to work, the employee shall:
- Notify their supervisor of their absence.
- Use one day (or one half-day) of annual leave if the employee has an annual leave balance; this does not apply to designated Facilities Division Unit III employees, and designated 12-month Unit III Bus Maintenance employees or lose one day (or half-day) pay if the employee does not have an annual leave balance.