AACPS offers kindergarten programs in all elementary schools. Children must be five years old on or before September 1 to be eligible. Kindergarten is required for all students living in the state of Maryland. While Maryland law requires kindergarten attendance, it does give parents the right to delay kindergarten for one year (waiver).
How to find out what your home school is, how to enroll your child, age requirements for enrollment.
Early Admission to Kindergarten (updated July 2020)
Due to the current shutdown of school buildings in Anne Arundel County due to the COVID-19 pandemic, we have moved to a remote online early admission to kindergarten application process. This is the first part of the early admission to kindergarten application process. Application are accepted between July 1, 2020 and July 31, 2020. Early admission to kindergarten testing will occur between August 3, 2020 an August 13, 2020.
- Students must turn five years old between September 2, 2020 and October 15, 2020
- Parents/guardians must bring their child’s birth certificate and proof of residence
- After submitting the Early Admission paperwork, parents/guardians will be contacted to schedule testing at a designated testing location
- Early Admission results will be mailed to parents/guardians within 10 business days after testing is complete
We are no longer accepting applications for Early Entry.
Delay of Kindergarten Enrollment Maturity Waiver
State Board of Education regulations allow parents/guardians to submit a one year level of maturity waiver for a kindergarten age child if the parents believe that a delay in kindergarten attendance is in the best interest of their child. Such a child, however, must attend kindergarten the next year. Students age eligible for kindergarten and on a kindergarten waiver are not able to attend a public prekindergarten. For more information call 410-222-5441
If a child's parents or legal guardians wishes that kindergarten attendance be deferred for one year due to the child's level of maturity, the parent or guardian must do the following:
- File a completed Kindergarten Waiver Request form to Early Childhood Office, Anne Arundel County Public Schools 2644 Riva Road, Annapolis, MD 21401. Approval will be considered by the Deputy Superintendent of Schools before the opening of the school year in which the child turns five years old; and
Register that child in kindergarten the following school year.
If a parents or legal guardian feels that it is in the best interests of the child who is already enrolled in kindergarten be withdrawn from kindergarten, the parent or guardian may file a written request to withdraw the child from the program and delay kindergarten attendance until the following school year.
Parents are their children's first teachers. These resources provide parents with suggestions for simple activities that parents and children can do together to develop children's skills. Additional Parent Resources