AACPS offers Kindergarten programs in all elementary schools. Children must be five on or before September 1 to be eligible. While Maryland law requires kindergarten attendance, it does give parents the right to delay kindergarten for one year (waiver).
- Students must turn 5 between September 2 and October 15
- Parents/guardians must apply in person at their designated home school between April 4, 2018 and May 15, 2018
- Parents/guardians must bring their child’s birth certificate and 2 proofs of residence
- After submitting the Early Admission paperwork, parents/guardians will be contacted to schedule testing at a designated testing location
- Early Admission results will be mailed to parents/guardians within 10 business days after testing is complete
State Board of Education regulations allow parents/guardians to submit a one- year level of maturity waiver for a kindergarten-age child if the parents believe that a delay in kindergarten attendance is in the best interest of their child. Such a child, however, must attend kindergarten the next year. For more information call 410-222-5441.
If a child's parents or legal guardians wishes that kindergarten attendance be deferred for one year due to the child's level of maturity, the parent or guardian must do the following:
- File a completed Kindergarten Waiver Request form with the local Superintendent of Schools before the opening of the school year in which the child turns five years-old; and
Register that child in kindergarten the following school year.
If a parents or legal guardian feels that it is in the best interests of the child who is already enrolled in kindergarten be withdrawn from kindergarten, the parent or guardian may file a written request to withdraw the child from the program and delay kindergarten attendance until the following school year.
Parents are their children's first teachers. These resources provide parents with suggestions for simple activities that parents and children can do together to develop children's skills.