Out-of-Area Transfers

  • Map outline for Anne Arundel County denoting the boundaries for student attendance

    SUBMIT YOUR REQUEST DIRECTLY TO THE SCHOOL PRINCIPAL (March 1- May 1 only). IF YOU HAVE A PROFESSIONAL RECOMMENDATION - SEND YOUR REQUEST DIRECTLY TO THE OFFICE OF PUPIL PERSONNEL: outofarea@aacps.org  After May 1st - your out-of-area request is late and will need to be submitted directly to The Office of Pupil Personnel. 

    IF YOUR REQUEST IS DENIED, YOU MUST EMAIL YOUR APPEAL TO: outofarea@aacps.org within 7 days. 

    Submit between March 1st - May 1st each year

    An out-of-area transfer request is for a student residing in Anne Arundel County to attend a school within the county other than the assigned boundary school (often referred to as a student's home school).

    To find your “assigned boundary school,” go to Locate Your School.

    A parent or court-appointed guardian must enroll a child in the assigned boundary school prior to requesting an out-of-area transfer. If a child attends a private school, he/she must first be enrolled in an AACPS prior to submitting a request.

    Where/When to Submit a Transfer Request

    All applications should be submitted to the principal of the requested school (unless it's a professional recommendation).

    If a child already attends a school as an out-of-area approved student, the application must be completed and submitted each school year. The continuation of a previous year's out-of-area is not automatic, and the application must be submitted to the school during the out-of-area application window. 

    NOTE:  If you are requesting a transfer to a secondary school for a reason other than daycare, the application must be submitted to the principal of the requested school. ALL PROFESSIONAL RECOMMENDATION REQUESTS MUST BE SENT TO CENTRAL OFFICE: THE OFFICE OF PUPIL PERSONNEL. 

    Reasons to request a transfer:


    • To complete the final year at the school the child is already attending.
      • If your child is in fourth, seventh, or eleventh grade, and you move within Anne Arundel County during the school year, your child may remain at the school to complete the final year (5th, 8th, 12th) of attendance at that school.
      • Note: Students not identified as "legacy students" (12th-graders in the 2024-2025 school year) as part of the Board of Education's adoption of the Phase I redistricting plan on November 15, 2023, and who are redistricted are ineligible for an out-of-area transfer. 
    •  The family moves into the attendance area after the first day of school
      • If a family is moving into the attendance (area within 90 days) with appropriate supporting documentation. The family must already be Anne Arundel County residents to apply.
    • The family moves out of the attendance area after the first day of school
      • If a family moves out of the attending school’s attendance area after the first day of school, the student may finish the current school year only. The following school year, the student needs to attend the assigned boundary school based on the new address.


    • The student is the child of a full-time employee of the requested school.
      • The employee must be an Anne Arundel County resident.


    • Daycare (for students Grades K–8 only) 
      • Verification of daycare services must be completed and signed by the provider. We only consider daycare if you have a documented hardship, which requires you to use a provider outside your assigned attendance area.

    Approval Process

    Parents will be notified of the decision of the request by email. It can take up to 30 days to review a request.

    Requests will be considered if the requested school is not closed and the reason for the request is one of the reasons listed above. If a request doesn't have a reason selected (because it doesn't "fit"), you do not meet the criteria to apply, and the request will be returned to you. 

    Please see the FAQs on the right for more details. 

    Other Conditions for Approval

    A student must maintain a “C” average, maintain satisfactory attendance, 94% or better daily attendance, and have no suspensions or expulsions from school. My child must maintain good attendance, grades, and behavior. 

    Additional Information about Out-of-Area Transfers

    Closed Schools
    All schools within AACPS are assigned a capacity in accordance with a prescribed formula as determined by the Maryland Department of Planning (MDP).  Please see the FAQs for more details. 

    What if I refuse to send my child to the assigned boundary school?
    Contact the principal of your child’s school to discuss your concerns. Maryland law states that children between the ages of 5–18 must be enrolled in school. It is important to note that as of July 1, 2017, a student may not withdraw until age 18 except in a few special cases listed in the law.

    Documented "Hardship"
    Documented hardship includes families with documentation supporting an unusual and extraordinary circumstance. Please see FAQ #13.

    What if my child is on an out-of-area transfer to a school for daycare, but it is not due to hardship?

    If your child is an approved out-of-area transfer due to daycare, your child may continue to attend the school as long as the conditions of approval are met.  You must re-submit a request each school year in order for your child to attend an out-of-bounds school. Failure to reapply may result in the withdrawal of your child from school. 

    What about siblings?

    Siblings are treated separately. You need to provide supporting documentation of the hardship.

    Transportation from established designated bus stops shall be provided for students who were granted an out-of-area transfer for daycare with a documented hardship only as defined by the Division of Student Support Services. 

    Transportation for all other requests is the responsibility of the parent or court-appointed guardian for all other students attending a school as an out-of-area transfer.

    Applications are accepted from March 1–May 1 for the following school year. Applications submitted after May 1 must include documentation of a bona fide emergency or event unforeseen prior to May 1. Applications submitted without documentation of an emergency or unforeseen event will be returned without any action being taken.

    Out-of-County Residents
    Only residents of Anne Arundel County may apply for an out-of-area transfer. Out-of-county residents may not apply.

    Students enrolled in a magnet program are not eligible to apply for an out-of-area transfer. You have a signed contract with the magnet program office, your enrollment and school location are based on your participation in the magnet program. 







  • Laurietta Jones
    Fax: 410-222-5636

    Rosaura Muñoz
    Administrative Secretary
    410-222-5326 opt. 2
    Fax: 410-222-5636

    Julianne Lockwood
    Out-of-Area Appeals
    Fax: 410-222-5636

Applications & Forms