#BePresent - A Community/School Partnership
"Every Child You Pass in the Hall Has a Story That Needs to Be Heard. Maybe You Are the One to Hear It."
- Bethany Hill
#BePresent is a community/school partnership designed to increase and improve community relationships within schools. Mentors and volunteers will assist school-based staff and administration with ensuring a safe and orderly school environment by being present during the school day. Mentors and volunteers are invited to have a greater presence in schools as a way to enhance relationships and make school operations safer and more efficient. #BePresent is a community-wide effort that includes:
- Family Members
- Civic and Faith Groups
- Business Leaders
- School Alumni
NOTE: #BePresent Volunteers /Mentors can sign-up to serve in all AACPS schools at all levels.
What Would I Be Expected to Do at a School?
Although each school has unique needs, some possible activities might include:
- helping with arrival and dismissal
- assisting staff during lunch and recess
- being present in hallways during class changes
- supporting specific programs/activities
- mentoring a student or small group of students
- reading with a student
Please know that you will not be expected to teach or discipline students in any way.
Why should I Volunteer?
Being a volunteer...
- Allows you to give back!
- Helps improve self-worth!
- Improves listening and leadership skills!
- Volunteering contributes to the vitality and capacity building of the community.
For questions or to become a volunteer in the #BePresent program, please contact us at: email@example.com
#BePresent Program Coordinator
Shawn W. Ashworth Ed.D.
Program Specialist, Safe and Orderly Schools
Sr. Manager of Mentorship Programs