Option A–Home instruction under the supervision of the Anne Arundel County Public School System.
The parent or guardian will—
- read the regulations regarding home instruction Code of Maryland Regulations (COMAR) 13A.10.01
- complete and return the Home Instruction Notification to the Home School office at least 15 days prior to beginning home instruction
- provide written notification to the office of any changes in status firstname.lastname@example.org or through the Change Request Link found on the bottom right corner of Home Instruction webpage www.aacps.org/homeinstruction
- maintain a portfolio for each child being provided home instruction
- participate in the portfolio(s) review actions with AACPS, one per semester
- review the AACPS Home Instruction website regularly for announcements and updates www.aacps.org/homeinstruction
Review Meetings for Spring 2023
- review teams, assigned annually, are responsible for reviewing your child’s instructional program
- reviews are held virtually, and meeting details will be posted as an announcement at www.aacps.org/homeinstruction 30 days before the start of the semester review window
- a failure to submit a portfolio for your required review without explanation and/or an effort to determine a mutually agreeable time and format will result in a Mandatory Withdraw from Home Instruction; families will be expected to enroll the child in an approved public or nonpublic school as defined in COMAR 13A.09.09.02B (4-9)
- recommendations for program reviews can be found Tips for a Home Instruction Portfolio
Fall 2022 Home Instruction Review announcement for families who selected Supervision A (9/27/22)
This year, the Fall 2022 review will operate differently than last year. For the Fall 2022 Review, families will download and complete a Portfolio Review Form and submit it through email email@example.com. The form has been revised; a copy may be located on our website. Families should not use a copy on file from a previous year as the new form includes many formatting changes.
The Fall 2022 Review cycle will occur from November 1 through November 18, 2022. This is an adjustment from the dates communicated in August 2022. This announcement is to inform you of the new review process. Included are important details about the Fall 2022 Review Process:
- Families will not schedule a virtual meeting for the first (Fall) review.
- Virtual meetings will only occur for the Spring 2023 Review Process.
- Families will download and complete a Portfolio Review Form found at www.aacps.org/homeinstruction.
- Examples are provided; families are encouraged to preview the samples for each grade level
- Families will submit one Portfolio Review per child to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Portfolio forms must be submitted between November 1 and November 18, 2022.
- All families are required by COMAR to complete the Fall 2022 Portfolio Review actions.
As a reminder, elementary students should have a portfolio that reflects instruction in English/ Language Arts, mathematics, science, social studies, art, music, health, and physical education. Secondary students should have a portfolio that reflects instruction in English/ Language Arts, mathematics, science, social studies, art, music, and physical education or three electives which include one unit or semester of health. If you are using an online program, please be aware that these programs do not always offer the same subjects required for home instruction in the state of Maryland. If the online program does not align with Maryland’s required courses, the parent must supplement for any missing subject areas in order to have a compliant review.