AACPS ATHLETICS ACADEMIC ELIGIBILITY
Communication Plan & Points of Emphasis for Staff, Students and Families
2023 – 2024
- County messaging to high school families. Connect Ed message from AACPS Communications Office to all high school families.
- Additional reminders by school staff. Local communication and reminders from school staff to their student-athletes and families. Include information about summer school.
- Summer School lists to Schools in July. The Data Office will run lists of enrolled summer school students against who was ineligible from the 4th MP and provide to schools. School staff may check in with student-athletes on their progress.
Student-Athlete and Family Responsibility
- Be aware of AACPS Athletics academic eligibility requirements.
- Access and carefully review report cards each marking in PowerSchool Student and Parent portals. Eligibility status is documented on the report card of all high school students each marking period and will also be maintained throughout the year in the student and parent portals.
Academic Eligibility Requirements. What does it take to play?
- Be officially registered and attending the school you are authorized to attend.
- To be eligible to participate in interscholastic athletics, grades nine through twelve, a student-athlete must maintain a 2.0 Athletics Eligibility Score or greater in the marking period preceding the start of that season as defined below. A student-athlete may earn a maximum of one “E” or “U” grade in courses taken during that eligibility period.
- Athletics Eligibility Scores, which are different from the GPA documented on report cards, are calculated by summing the value of each letter grade on the weighted scale and dividing by the total number of different classes registered for.
- A full description of AACPS Academic Eligibility Requirements is available in the AACPS Athletic Handbook at aacps.org/athletics or at your school.
What happens if I want to try out, but am not academically eligible?
- You may still try-out for a team.
- If you make the team, you may not play in games or wear any part of a team uniform at games before or during a 14-day probationary period during which you will participate in the academic assistance sessions program facilitated by your Athletic Academic Advisor.
- You must successfully complete the academic assistance sessions program and subsequent grade check to become eligible to stay on a team and play in games.
- Those who do not meet eligibility requirements as of the grade check will be removed from their team for the remainder of that season.
Where to go for questions and help
- Contact your athletic academic advisor, coach, athletic director, counselor, and or athletic administrator. Contact information can be found in the front of AACPS Athletics handbook or on school websites.
- MPSSAA resource. https://www.mpssaa.org/information-center/mpssaa-publications-and-content/
Fall Season Information using 4th marking grades
- Fall sports eligibility is based on 4th marking period report card grades from the previous school year.
- Summer school classes can be taken to improve eligibility status.
- Rising 9th graders are exempt for this season only.
- Program Dates
- August 9, 2023 - Tryouts start
- August 25, 2023 - Academic assistance sessions start date
- September 1, 2023 - MPSSAA start date for contests (except golf)
- September 14, 2023 - Academic assistance sessions end date and Grade Check
- Approximately 2.5 weeks of competition missed
- November 10, 2023 - 1st MP report cards
- Note that for any fall season 1st marking report card grades may be released during the season/playoffs. If so, they will be used to determine eligibility status again. There is no study hall program for this scenario.
Winter Season Information using 1st marking period grades
- Winter sports eligibility is based on 1st marking period report card grades from the current school year.
- Program Dates
- November 15, 2023 - Tryouts start
- November 15, 2023 - Academic assistance sessions start date
- December 5, 2023 - MPSSAA start date for contests
- December 7, 2022 - Academic assistance sessions end date & Grade Check
- Less than one week of competition missed
- January 31, 2024 – 2nd MP report cards
- Note that for any winter season 2nd marking report card grades may be released during the season/playoffs. If so, they will be used to determine eligibility status again. There is no study hall program for this scenario.
Spring Season Information using 2nd marking period grades
- Spring Sports eligibility is based on 2nd marking period report card grades from the current school year.
- Program Dates
- March 1, 2024 - Tryouts start
- March 1, 2024 - Academic assistance sessions start date
- March 20, 2024 - Academic assistance sessions end date and Grade Check
- March 21, 2024 - MPSSAA start date for contests
- No competition missed
- April 18, 2024 – 3rd MP report cards
- Note that for any spring season 3rd marking report card grades may be released during the season. If so, they will be used to determine eligibility status again. There is no study hall program for this scenario.