AVID is an accelerated academic encore course comprised of approximately 100 students. Interested students apply and participate in an interview process that has both written and verbal components. Student attendance, behavior, academic history, and enthusiasm in the AVID program are weighed into the selection process.
AVID is designed to provide academic support in rigorous, advanced courses to students “in the academic middle.” Participation in rigorous academics prepares students for four-year college and university eligibility. During the AVID elective, students focus on writing, reading, inquiry, collaboration and organization while engaging in higher level thinking, teambuilding and college exploration. AVID students are mentored on their academic strengths and weaknesses and facilitate small group tutorials with their peers.
- 100% of our 8th grade AVID students take the ReadiStep Test, a SAT readiness test
- All AVID students are given the opportunity to visit several college campuses throughout the school year
Apply for a background check here.
How to get involved with Meade Middle School's AVID Program
Help prepare students for college! AVID tutors NEEDED!
- Facilitate a small group of students during the school day as they work through problems from math, science, social studies and English classes.
- You do not need to be an expert on any subject. Your main goal is to help them use their textbooks, notes and each other as resources.
- You are not acting as a typical “tutor.” You are serving as an adult facilitator of the tutorial process.
- Training is provided and scheduling is flexible.