Anne Arundel
County Public Schools

 Home | Contact Us

QuickMenu Save Document

National and Local Blue Ribbon Schools
Green Schools, Recycling program
School Links

About AACPS 

   Single Stream Recycling

READ:  A Guide to Recycling at School

Frequently Asked
Questions about Recycling

Single-Stream recycling means commingling of all materials – all paper products, cardboard, and all cans, glass and plastic bottles in one container. Zip-lock bags, potato chip bags and the polystyrene trays used in the cafeterias will be collected as waste for disposal. These items, along with food waste, have been specified as a prominent source of contamination in our single stream recycling program and have thus been identified for elimination by our recycling vendors.


§         Loose cardboard (unwaxed)

§         Magazines

§         Computer paper

§         Empty waxed cardboard (drink boxes)

§         Newspapers

§         Adding machine tape

§         Flattened corrugated cardboard

§         Telephones books

§         Memo paper

§         White office paper

§         Lunch bags (brown no food waste)

§         Folder (colored)

§         Colored office paper

§         Manila folders

§         Colored wrapping paper

§         Empty aluminum cans

§         Folder (coated)

§         Folder (w/plastic tabs)

§         Self adhesive notes

§         Fax & telex sheets

§         Scratch and message pads

§         Bi-metal cans

§         Steel cans

§         Clear glass

§         Legal (yellow pad)

§         Ringed Binders

§         Loose-leaf paper

§         Brown glass


§         Goldenrod envelops

§         Green glass


§         Envelopes with windows

§         #1 plastic (empty bottles)


§         Envelopes without windows

§         #2 plastic (empty bottles)



§         Brown envelopez

§         Time cards





Frequently Asked Questions

Can I recycle office paper, newspaper, cardboard, and catalogs, folders and old telephone books?

Answer: Yes you can and there is not need to remove stapes or paperclips

Can I recycle empty clear and colored glass bottles, aluminum cans, tin cans, and waxed drink boxes?

Answer: Yes you can

Can I recycle polystyrene trays and “coffee” cups and plastic bottles?

Answer:  No.

What cannot be recycled at school?

Answer: The list is too extensive to be all inclusive but, any food waste, plastic wrap, tissues, candy wrappers, polystyrene trays and coffee cups (styrofoam) wood, pencils, pens, electronics, batteries, and used print cartridges would not be accepted and should be disposed as trash. Some private vendors will accept used print cartridges, batteries and other electronics. As more materials become acceptable they will be posted on this web site so check back often.

Do we need to separate the recycling waste into separate containers?

Answer: No - All the recycling materials will eventually go into the same recycling dumpster. However, paper products could be kept separately from liquid containers to avoid spills and contamination in the classrooms and offices.

Can we contact Anne Arundel County’s Recycling Division for plastic recycling bins?

Answer: No - The County’s recycling division can offer support and suggestions to enhance your schools recycling program; however, the plastic recycling bins are provided primarily for residential use. The Anne Arundel County’s Recycling Division phone number is 410-222-7951.

Can schools use the Abitibi Paper Retriever® Community Recycling Program?

Answer: Yes the Abitibi Paper Recycling Program is permitted as a means for schools/school based clubs or teams to raise funds for school based needs. Abitibi-Consolidated Recycling Division provides this program and collection service at no charge to each location. Bright green and yellow containers - called Abitibi Paper Retrievers® - are placed in highly visible, convenient areas where students, staff and residents can drop off their office papers, newspaper, magazines, shopping catalogs and mail. The recycled materials are collected, weighted and check is issued directly to the school. For further information please contact ABITIBI Consolidated at 410-361-0659 for collection bins, assistance and support supplies.

For school based paper recycling fund raising only, you may contact ABITIBI Consolidated at 410-361-0659 for collection bins, assistance and support supplies.

Why do we need to recycle?

Answer: Solid Waste disposal is everyone’s problem. In the United States, every person generates approximately three and one-half pounds of solid waste daily. There are two primary methods of waste disposal used; burying in landfills or burning it in incinerators. Recycling eliminates the need for utilizing these disposal methods and saves natural resources, energy and dollars.

How do we get started at our school?

Answer: The following are suggestions for starting recycling in your school

  1. Enlist recycling support of all students, parents, administration, staff and faculty.

  2. Establish a recycling leader, committee or recycling teams, by class or grade.

  3. Identify where in your school you need to have collection receptacles and for what type of materials.

  • Offices and at each desk

  • Classrooms

  • Workrooms

  • Break rooms and lounges

  • Copy rooms

  • Activity rooms

  • Cafeterias

  1. Use any sturdy cardboard box to collect office or classroom paper or contact the Logistics Supply Warehouse for initial supply at 410-222-3861.

  2. Don’t toss good sturdy boxes from supplies received or those empty paper boxes. Keep them as spare boxes for replacements and inform staff where they are kept.

  3. Have classroom contests to decorate/clearly identify recycling boxes or ask your art department for assistance.

  4. Put new recycling posters up in accessible areas for all to see. Have contests to design your own posters to reflect your school’s recycling program.

  5. Use the internet for valuable recycling resources, information and ideas. Recycling links include: The Maryland Department of the Environment or the U.S. EPA at

For questions or information contact Environmental Programs at 410-360-0138.